Tuesday, November 8, 2011

I'm Awake

Its 3:30 in the morning on Tuesday and I am awake.  I am also sick.  I have been coughing and blowing my nose  for 2 days.  I feel like I am swallowing glass.  I feel like crap...and yet I persevere.  Why?  Because I am the Mommy.

The Mommy doesn't really get to be sick.  We kinda walk around in a daze and still do all the things that we do, like, the dishes, the laundry, the phone calls, the lunches, the notes, the errands, etc.  It never ends (at least it feels that way right now) and we have to.  If we are single we REALLY have to because there is no one around who can help us.  If we are married sometimes the other adult can't stay home and take care of us.  If you are working you feel the stress on those sick/vacation days and wonder if you can possibly take one more...just to feel better.

I went to bed early for 2 days (as close as I get to being off) and now I am awake when the world is asleep...super.  Now I am thinking of all the things I can get done (hey look, you haven't written in the Blog!) while I am walking around with a cold and no one is bothering me.  This is the life of the Mom...

Moms are really really good at taking care of their children.  Sometimes they are really good at taking care of their friends and partners.  They are super crappy at taking care of themselves.  When you are in the trenches of taking care of kids - all kids babies up to teens - you just don't think of yourself as a person.  You are Mom first and so you continue on...or you feel guilty that you are on the couch while the poor 13 year old is washing a dish.

The thing is we Moms desperately need our rest.  If we are sick we need to take care of US.  If we are the engine of the train that is our life we really need to make sure that all of the gears work.  Sometimes that means getting help, asking for help, or taking a breath from the lives that we force on ourselves.

Even though I am awake when I should be asleep I have already looked up a phone numbers for the morning and sent an email.  I will likely go downstairs and flip the laundry.  However I am actually drinking lemonade to soothe my throat.  For me, that is HUGE.  I urge any mom who isn't feeling well to take a minute and get the medicine you need...because you can't take care of your world if you are feeling this way.

I am going to refill this glass and put a blanket on me so I can watch some TV.  Feel Better and Carry On.

Peace
DM

No comments:

Post a Comment